ATM Safety Tips
Although ATM crimes are rare, you should always exercise care when using an ATM. These tips are a start, but the best advice is simply not to use an ATM if you feel at all uncomfortable doing so.
Here are some helpful and safe tips:
- Be aware of your surroundings, particularly at night. If you observe or sense suspicious persons, do not use the machine.
- Have your ATM card ready and in your hand as you approach the ATM.
- Be careful that no one can see you enter your PIN. Use your body to "shield" the ATM keyboard as you enter your PIN.
- Keep your information confidential and always take your receipts with you.
- Do not count or visually display any money you received from the ATM. Immediately put your money into your pocket or purse and count it later.
- If you are using a drive–up ATM, be sure passenger windows are rolled up and doors are locked.